Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sexiest permaculture ever: Marry your land, Christmas Eve Mass 2011





 Sydney was getting all festive, at St. Mary's Cathedral last night.





The building was in full regalia. 




With multiple costume changes.




The congregation was at full capacity.

The priest may have been overwhelmed. 
He didn't seem to have anything exciting to tell us.

Thats okay, because in a church you have 2,000 years + of human striving and aspiring, so there's bound to be something useful to hear or see, if you are patient. 

Here are the two gems I picked up from the long, long service. One is a poetic turn of phrase. The other a poetic vision. Both are rather motivating, and both are from Isaiah 62:1 - 5 

'Rejoice in your wife' 
as in "Come upstairs and rejoice in your wife'.
I could use that line one day. When I'm married.

'Marry' your land 
Get a vision for it, one that is irresistably lovely. Commit to it. Get sweaty and active. Call it 'Darling'.
Together you and this land are going to generate new life, and it will be glorious. 

You need to know the  background story to these five verses (below)
Its way before Jesus birth, centuries. 
The Jewish people are in 'Post Celebration Blues'. 
They are back from exile in Babylon, working on re-building their very own city. 
Its been years now, and its getting tedious. 
The spark has gone. 
Isaiah is giving the builders of the new Jerusalem a pep talk. 

Sexy! 
Thats what sells, even back then.

Go for it, Isaiah: 



For Zion's sake I will not be silent, 
for Jerusalem's sake I will not be quiet, 
until her vindication shines forth like the dawn 
and her victory like a burning torch.
Nations shall behold your vindication, 
and all the kings your glory; 
you shall be called by a new name
pronounced by the mouth of the LORD.
You shall be a glorious crown in the hand of the LORD,
a royal diadem held by your God.

No more shall people call you "Forsaken,"
or your land "Desolate,"
but you shall be called "My Delight,"
and your land "Espoused."
For the LORD delights in you
and makes your land his spouse.
As a young man marries a virgin,
your Builder shall marry you;
and as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride
so shall your God rejoice in you.



Wishing everyone alive a flourishing 2012




A happy, sexy connected 2012




And most of all, a 2012 where the lost amongst us can feel we have a home and garden,  a place we can cherish, do good work in, and depend on.




Wish this for me too!



7 comments:

Debra said...

Beautiful post Cecilia. My prayer and wish is all of that and more for you in 2012. Happy New Year. ~Debra

Anonymous said...

Cecilia, I can't tell you how much your blog has encouraged, inspired and enriched my experience this year.
Lily

Cecilia Macaulay said...

Lilly, I can't tell you how much your comment has encourgaged me.
So now we are getting even.
Sometimes I don't know if anyone is reading, and I feel a bit discouraged. Youve reminded me that yes, yes, its valuable, keep on going.
Thankyou Lily.

Debra, thankyou! what can I do to make your wishes for me come true, I wonder? Happy New Year to us. xx

plumbing supplies said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Garden Goddess said...

Missing your New Years post Cecilia?
Lily

Cecilia Macaulay said...

Lilly ! You comment had me do a big posting spree. We need each other, to lure us into action. xx

Garden Goddess said...

I shall hold you to that!
Lily